****Warning: Gross content ahead****
My name is Alyssa.
And I have Emetophobia.
What bothers me?
- Other people (Adults or Children) vomiting in front of me
- Hearing other people vomit
- When people say their stomach hurts
- Seeing it before it gets cleaned up or flushed
What Doesn’t Bother Me
- Animals vomiting
- Me vomiting
What is My Reaction
- Panic (especially when someone says their stomach hurts)
- Anxiety (I feel it in my gut ironically)
- Heart races
- Intense need to get as far away from that person as possible
When Did I Notice This Fear?
- Working at camp when I had a couple of campers get sick. I tried really hard to be comforting, but all I wanted was to get way from them
- In college, I would avoid bathrooms on weekends because I knew partiers would be getting sick in there
- Eminem’s song Puke has a soundbite of him getting sick and I cannot listen to that song at all
My Theories on What Caused This?
- In elementary school, whenever someone got sick, the teachers would scream for us to GET BACK GET AWAY DON’T TOUCH IT etc
- I once got sick during my dance class in elementary school, and I had to be kept isolated for the remainder of the class
- I really want therapy or something because this is becoming very crippling
- I wanted to admit I have this problem to see if anyone else shares this fear